Optimize return on investment without skimping on the trimmings.
To achieve the high design and rapid schedule Belcrest Center developers sought for their mixed-use project in a D.C. suburb, they turned to the design, schedule, and budget advantages available with Tindall’s precast, prestressed concrete systems. The result was a vertically integrated structure with wide open retail spaces below three levels of parking. Tindall's engineering corp and extensive field expertise can solve just about any customer challenge.
Owner: Taylor Development and Land Company
Architect: Dorsky Hodgson Partners
Engineer: Fernandez & Associates
Contractor: L.F. Jennings, Inc.
Location: Hyattsville, MD
- 193,000-sq.-ft. mixed-use structure houses boutique and big-box retail with 500 parking spaces on upper levels.
- Precast pieces totaled 531, including wall panels, columns, spandrels, beams, and shear walls.
- Redesigning the original higher-priced cast-in-place project with precast saved approximately $1 million while preserving architectural treatments.
- Precast, prestressed concrete panels were cast with a brick form liner and field stained to blend with nearby buildings.
- Three levels of parking serve grade-level retail and future phases.
- 24-ft-wide speed ramp provides access to upper level parking.
- All 3 parking levels have a 2-hr fire rating.
- An overall composite system, including 40-in. double tees, atop retail areas controls vibration and deflection.
- Shear walls frame the grade level to the roof.
- Strategic placement of shear walls outside big-box retailers ensure wide open floor plans and lateral stability.