Putting Minds at Ease with Safer Parking Decks
When it came to the new parking deck at the University of Maryland-College Park, the project teams of OPUS Contracting and Tindall Corporation specifically included architectural features that could reduce both crime and anxiety about using parking decks. This included 11-ft., 4-in. floor-to-floor dimensions; 8-ft. clear span girders at the end turn-a-rounds; no interior shear walls; and no intermediate columns. Tindall is always ready to partner with you to develop quality, innovative, and specialized products.
Owner: University of Maryland
Architect: OPUS Contracting
Engineer: Restl Designers
Contractor: OPUS Architects
Location: College Park, MD
- The open design helped accomplish BOCA 2C classification.
- Erection of the parking deck took only 18 weeks.
- The six-level parking deck provides 1,650 spaces.
- A punched window design adds natural daylight and ventilation.
- 11-ft., 4-in. floor-to-floor height reduces the typical closed-in feeling.
- Light-colored, high-gloss painted members reflect daylight.
- Long line-of-sight with 48-ft. clear span girders at end turn-a-rounds, no interior shear walls, and no intermediate columns.
- Exterior wall panels are load-bearing for double tee floor and roof panels.
- The all-new, 13-ft., 4-in. lite wall supports 50% more standard double tees and improves openness by 20%.
- Only six columns were used in the entire parking deck.
- Exterior panels serve as the primary lateral resisting element.
- Precast pieces totaled 934.