Deck a Shopping Complex with Extra Spaces
Tenants at Destin Commons not only thanked shoppers for record sales Thanksgiving weekend, they also gave thanks for the additional 850 parking spaces provided by the Tindall-built, precast, prestressed concrete parking deck. The aboveground structure allowed this popular Florida shopping destination to achieve its largest single-day sales and traffic records since the center’s 2004 opening. Tindall is committed to delivering an outstanding experience from concept to completion.
Owner: Turnberry Associates
Architect: Dougherty Design Group
Engineer: Walker Parking Consultant
Contractor: Walbridge Aldinger Co.
Erector: All Florida Erectors
Location: Destin, FL
- Trucks delivered precast pieces across a five-lane highway to enter the fixed footprint site and then into a tight turnaround to exit.
- Project successfully completed before target date: Black Friday—the biggest shopping day of the year.
- Short, four-month completion schedule
- 380,493-sq.-ft. project completed in half the time of cast-in-place
- Six-level parking deck adds approximately 850 parking spaces.
- Deck designed to serve additional retail planned for Phase 2.
- Tenants can enjoy covered parking just steps from their offices.
- The structure’s inlay brick complements the existing complex.
- Inlay brick was specially manufactured from full-size brick.
- Award-winning project: 2nd Place 2007-2008 Top Projects for Gulf South Precast/Prestressed Concrete Association (GSPCA)
- The tight site is situated between Belk department store and Rave Motion Pictures.
- 90,000 sq. ft. of Class “A” office space wrap the deck on two sides.
- 1,006 total precast pieces including double tees, inverted tees, spandrels, columns, shear walls, lite walls, solid wall panels, inlay brick columns, arched and inlay brick spandrels, and stair units