Create as much parking as possible . . . with no angry neighbors.
Residential neighbors’ concerns about visually intrusive parking decks created serious challenges for the Edgewood Retail District project — a big problem. Tindall’s precast, prestressed concrete system made possible a walkable, hometown retail district with spacious, above- and below-ground parking by vertically integrating big-box retail and parking in this tight metro Atlanta site. Tindall specializes in limited access, tight budget challenges. Problem solved.
Owner: The Sembler Company
Architect: Robertson, Loia, Roof
Engineer: Robertson, Loia, Roof
Contractor: Batson-Cook Construction
Location: Atlanta, GA
- Problems with soil and excessive rain made precast retaining walls essential for saving overall schedule.
- 232,000 sq. ft. elevated precast, prestressed concrete structure built on a 5-acre site.
- Speed of precast was essential to completing the project on schedule.
- Precast cantilevered retaining walls with buttresses allowed walls to be backfilled prior to structure completion, greatly speeding up project.
- Longer precast members span farther than equivalent cast-in-place design for more open underground parking.
- Precast, prestressed concrete framing system meets unique structural performance requirements.
- Precast is more economical than cast-in-place concrete structures in overall cost, schedule, and quality.
- 16-in. precast liteframes in the multi-level parking deck provide as much openness as possible.
- Precast, prestressed concrete structure supporting big-box retail was engineered for beam continuity under live load.
- Portions of parking area were rated at HS20 live loading.
- Deflection limitations kept to L/800 for reduced maintenance concerns.
- Precast retaining walls served triple duty as the structures’ shear walls and as support for the beams, double tees, and tri-slabs.
- Composite tri-slabs helped meet stringent design requirements to support big-box retail over parking.
- 927 precast concrete pieces, including 8-in.-thick shear walls, wall panels, flat slabs, columns, double tees, T-girders and L-girders, soffit beams, spandrels, tri-slabs, liteframes, and retaining walls
Want a solution like this? Contact us
- 10’ wide, 24” deep double tees
- 12’ wide, 18” deep tri-slabs
- 30” wide, 36” deep L-girders
- 32” wide, 6” deep soffit beams
- 8” thick retaining walls
- 8” thick, 84” deep spandrels