Earning an “A” in School Design
While buildings alone don’t make great schools, they are vital to the educational, emotional, and social development of students, staff, and the local community. So when Cumberland County Schools needed a new high school, they looked for a design that was modern and technologically advanced, yet respectful of academic traditions. Tindall met this challenge head-on with high-quality precast, prestressed exterior panels. Customer needs drive Tindall to create exceptional solutions.
Owner: Cumberland County Schools
Architect: Shuller, Ferris, Lindstrom and Associates
Engineer: Fleming & Associates
Contractor: Barnhill Contracting Company
Location: Fayetteville, NC
- 2001 Precast, Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Harry H. Edwards Industry Advancement Award
- Honoree for Design Excellence in the 1998 Architectural Portfolio competition, as selected by architects and school administrators
- Profile in the November 1998 issue of American School & University Magazine
- 275,000-sq.-ft. structure designed to educate 1,750 students.
- Compensated for lack of masons in the area by providing inlay brick façade.
- Insulated, 7.625-in.-thick wall panels were delivered with a paint-ready interior finish.
- Slashed approximately four months off a traditional masonry construction schedule.
- Traditional school appearance achieved with inlay brick façade.
- Precast medallions and bands cast within the inlay brick supply accenting details economically.
- Structure encompasses central, two-story atrium.
- Award-winning design
- Two-story structure used 410 precast pieces of exterior insulated panels.
- Non-structural precast–only architectural exterior wall panels were used.
Want a solution like this? Contact us
“The precast concrete with a thin brick veneer allowed us to create a refined look at a fraction of what the building would have cost using other types of construction. We’re thankful Tindall decided to take on this very challenging project.
— Robert Ferris, AIA, CEO/President Shuller, Ferris, Lindstrom and Associates