Total Precast Construction Releases Cost/Schedule Constraints
Seeing the census climb at Florida’s DOC northwest facility, officials triggered plans for more housing units. Fortunately, Tindall’s six-sided cell modules and total precast construction proved to be a more economical and faster construction solution than the state’s traditional method–concrete masonry units. Tindall converted the concrete block construction plans to precast, then used two plants to supply all cell modules and system components. The result was over 62,000 sq. ft. of safe, secure housing completed faster and more economically than traditional methods. Tindall delivers value and variety.
Owner: Florida DOC
Architect: Florida DOC
General Contractor: Ajax Building Corporation
Engineer: Tindall Corporation
Precaster: Tindall Corporation, Corrections Division & Mississippi Division
- Manufactured and erected 360 cells to expand the existing facility by 360 cells
- Precast framing components included 336 exterior closure panels and interior wall panels as well as 84 flat slabs for floors, ceilings, and walkways,
- Erection completed in just two short months
- Further expedited schedule by providing cell modules and framing system components from two different plants
- Tindall’s completely finished and furnished cell modules helped the project finish on time in spite of reduced availability of on-site labor due to recent hurricanes.
- Tindall engineers converted existing prototype concrete block construction (CMU) to total precast construction.
- Tindall’s total precast solution was more cost efficient and faster than CMU, lowering Florida DOC’s general costs and reducing overhead.
- Each double-cell module included two 92-sq.-ft. cells with rear access, fully upfitted MEP chase.
- Partnering with Prison Rehabilitative Industries and Diversified Enterprises (PRIDE), Tindall factory-installed inmate-fabricated metal bunks in each cell.
- Tindall-designed custom anchor plates securely locking the unique, pre-engineered metal roof structure to the tops of the cell modules and precast framing system.
- Exterior-only access to MEP chases heightens security for maintenance personnel.
- Total precast structure offers environmental advantages including inherent fire resistance and superior sound absorption.
- Highly durable and insulated, precast.
Want a solution like this? Contact us
“Tindall provides from their manufacturing facility a completed cell, including plumbing and light fixtures, furniture, finish paint, and all associated piping and rough-in. We were able to work around the lack of locally available manpower and deliver the project on time for our client.”
— Allan Wooden,, Santa Rosa Correctional Institute, Milton, FL