Alleviate the Squeeze on Campus Parking
As enrollments climbed at urban, commuter-based Tallahassee Community College, meeting increased parking demands in a timely fashion was a major challenge. That’s why Tindall's precast, prestressed concrete construction was chosen. Tindall manufactured and delivered precast pieces as the foundation was prepared. Erection was completed in just three short months. As one of the largest privately-held precast companies in the United States, Tindall's manufacturing plants produce, deliver, and install a variety of products and specialized solutions.
Owner: Tallahassee Community College
Architect: Clemons/Rutherford and Associates, Inc.
Engineer: Johnson-Reeves Engineering
Contractor: Culpepper Construction Co., Inc.
Location: Tallahassee, FL
- Establishing an off-site drop lot kept site congestion to a minimum.
- Deliveries to the drop lot were made before 8 a.m. and after 3 p.m.
- Shuttles ferried precast pieces from the drop lot to the crane.
- The 319,091-sq.-ft. deck was completed in nine months, including erection during winter.
- New deck took the place of an existing parking lot.
- Four elevated levels and grade-level parking offers 1,226 spaces.
- Designed to blend with nearby buildings
- Architectural details include buff-colored concrete, inlaid brick, and reveal patterns.
- Lite wall heights were adjusted to increase deck’s open feeling.
- Open atmosphere contributes to the overall safety of parkers.
- The deck can be accessed by two stair towers and an elevator.
- Precast concrete pieces totaled 686,including beams, columns, spandrels, bulb tees, and wall panels.